So Much For That

Well… this weekend was far from relaxing. I actually think I’m MORE exhausted than I was before hand. I need a vacation, from my vacation it seems. lol. Ugh! 

Kevin and I did manage to find time to have dinner last night, but it was such a hassle and we were so tired by the end of it the whole “go out with your husband for a romantic evening” thing was kind of wasted. It started off by heading out of town to eat. The roads weren’t AWFUL, but they weren’t completely clear either. Most of it was snow that had drifted or patches of ice where the wet road had frozen. Kevin was driving, and taking the necessary precautions, but we ended up getting stuck behind a driver on the phone, who was going less than 20MPH and slamming on their brakes every time they came up to a snow patch. The drive to the restaurant which normally would have taken about thirty to forty five minutes, ended up taking almost an hour an a half.

We finally get to the restaurant make our way inside to find the biggest mess of people I’ve ever seen. Since it was dinner time, we anticipated a wait so it’s not like that in itself was a big deal. We stood quietly at the hostess stand for a few moments not even acknowledged by the employee standing there until Kevin said: “Hello, um… how long is the wait?” To which the employee replied: “Oh about an hour or so, but probably longer than that.” Kevin and I decided that we didn’t want to get back out into the cold so we would wait. We expressed that to the employee, and she promptly began to ignore us. Didn’t take our name, put us on the list, nothing. After she put the next group of people who walked in behind us on the list, I could feel my blood pressure beginning to rise. I could have argued with her, or demanded to speak to some one but instead I just pushed my way through the crowd of people who had gathered in the lobby exclaiming loudly that they weren’t putting anymore people on the waiting list so I wasn’t going to wait.

That was the first restaurant. Restaurant number 2, we couldn’t even get to the hostess stand because the crowd of angry people dissatisfied with seating. We walked into the lobby, I saw the bunch of people blocking the second door, and immediately turned around and headed back out to the car. By this point I was so frustrated with the way the evening was going I had completely lost my appetite, and really just wanted to go home to fix my own dinner. Even if we had found a table there were so many people stuffed into each place we went, we wouldn’t even be able to talk to each other. So we tried two more restaurants before finally heading back to town. We did FINALLY end up finding a place to eat, but it wasn’t really what I wanted, and the entire spirit of the fun night out had been lost.

It turned into such a big deal for no real reason. It was just one minor annoyance after another ALL DAY LONG until I was just completely over it.  So it was disappointing, but once we finally did get our dinner and some quiet alone time Kevin and I did enjoy each other’s company sans Little. It was nice to actually be able to eat all of my food and not have tiny grabby hands snatching bites from me. lol. Our baby sitting arrangements got switched around last minute so we didn’t get the entire night to ourselves, but after a few hours I missed her terribly anyway. I don’t think I would have been able to sleep if she wasn’t at home with us. 

The best part of the evening was the fact that Kevin wants to make an effort to get out and do more with me, and he kept his phone put away the entire time we were at the restaurant so I got his full attention. It was kind of weird actually. lol. I don’t think we’ve ever done that where we both put our phones away and actually really talked to each other. I was so irritated from everything else happening I didn’t really have much to say, but it was really nice to see him making an effort to improve our relationship. I know he loves me, but sometimes life just gets so busy it doesn’t always feel that way. I’m guilty of the exact same thing, I’m aware of it, and I’m making an effort to improve. It’s nice to see that he is too. It’s really reassuring. 

I think the thing that helped us the most over the past few months is the new level of honesty between us. I’ve been able to articulate why I’m feeling how I’m feeling a lot better since dealing with my diagnosis and all of that mess. He’s a lot more willing to listen to me, and isn’t so defensive when sensitive subjects come up. Before I would keep things to myself because I didn’t want to hurt him, and because I didn’t know exactly how I was feeling. Now that I can put a perspective on my emotions and WHY they get so bent out of shape every once and a while we can really talk about it. I still end up sounding like a jerk most of the time, just because I’ve always been a little crass, but he’s willing to ask questions and search for understanding now instead of just shutting me out. I know it hasn’t been easy for him, and I still feel a little bad about it… but we’re working through it, moving forward, and it’s really encouraging.

Anyway, Nora and I have a play date this afternoon. I need to get off of here and get her up and ready to go. Until later Bloggies. 🙂

One thought on “So Much For That

  1. The only time I’ve seen a restaurant situation quite that bad is Mothers day(s) at the Golden Corral. Ft Wayne is always been pretty good at having alternate places if you’re willing to compromise. Be proud of your victory over Satan’s attempts to bunghole your evening.


Comments are closed.